Saturday, June 26, 2010

Tim Burton


I had the pleasure of visiting the Tim Burton retrospective that opened in Melbourne yesterday. I highly recommend it to anyone who can make it to ACMI in Melbourne city or who has the exhibition cross their paths in the future.

I'm a bit of a Burton fan, he's made some great movies and some shit ones, but they're always Tim Burton's...if you know what I mean. So in that regard it was great to see his work from a teen onwards as he found his feet and his style.

I found that there was some definate stylistic leanings towards Gerald Scarfe and Ralph Steadman, but that said I think it's hard for any illustrator trying to find their own style not to reference these two legends.

Either way I'm gushing, it was super and you must see it. And if you're going to go, buy the tickets online before you head down - the line is waaaaaaay shorter!

No comments: